View your WHOLE portfolio!
So we’ve already touched upon having a complete view of investments and how tools such as filtering and sorting improve visibility and organization. But there is a more fundamental problem that many investment firms are facing ― the ability to view specific information across your portfolio. The flow of documents has been increasingly difficult to keep track of and organize. Partners tend be responsible for a couple of portfolio companies and receive those companies documents and updates and everything is great, right? Not exactly.
Pain #3- I have no way to see specific information across my WHOLE portfolio.
Not being able to see information across the whole portfolio is just another challenge we hear from clients. Having a partial view of the firm’s portfolio weakens the ability to ascertain the real state of the entire portfolio. Solution: storing all investment documents in one solution that allows for sorting, filtering, and searching. But why is it necessary to be able to view this specific information across your portfolio?
Records cannot currently be organized by specific information types.
You may already have folders in email or on your hard drive and the folders may be organized. Let’s say you have them sorted by investment companies. And in that folder you have more folders of board packages, financial reports, etc. Or maybe you have your folders set up by document type, and then play the “find the investment company” game instead. Wouldn’t it be easier to keep track of the whole portfolio and be able to get a different view depending on what is most convenient at a specific point?
- See by investments - would allow you to see every company in your portfolio, but easily access the documents you need.
- See by date - would allow you to quickly access the newest information to catch up, prepare for meetings, or see everything you were doing at a specific time period.
- See by document type - would allow you to see all types of documents that are in the system and know which investments have which documents available.
- See by sector - would allow you to break down investments by industry or sector. Let’s say there are new regulations for the clean-energy industry; this is a great tool to know who would be affected and contact those investments quickly.
Ok so now you should be able to find you documents, but can you see your WHOLE portfolio in a calendar grid view? Do you know if portfolio companies are giving you their financial reports and board packages when they should be? Do you know when they are due?
- A “birds eye view” grid of the year and portfolio companies makes it much easier to see the status of companies and if reports are available. At a glance, you would be able to know whose reports are done, whose are not done, and when you are owed more information. I’m sure you can appreciate being able to look at one screen and being able to access the board packages and financial information for your whole portfolio. Just imagine all the time you’ll save from just not having to search across your portfolio!
These are just a few more solutions to build your complete view of your WHOLE portfolio. Find out more about these solutions.